Saturday, August 6, 2011

So much squash! So little summer left.


From my friends, chefs extraordinare . . . . The Wendts

Of all the vegetables people grow in their gardens, zucchini is probably the most abundant and versatile. The delicate flavor, soft shell and creamy white flesh of summer squash is a perfect addition to any summer meal.

 While each variety may have a distinct shape, color, size and flavor, all varieties share some common characteristics.  Zucchini, yellow squash, crooknecks, and pattypan squashes can all be steamed, sautéed, grilled, baked. 

After a day at the Farmers Markets, I took my  “squash stash” home that I bought from my friends Mike and Gerry’s booth –  Valley Farms.  What to make, what to make…..I stared at the colors and shapes -  yellow, light green, dark green suddenly the bulb goes off. 
I whipped out my cutting board, my knifes and my knife sharpener….need a sharp knife.  First, I take the zucchini, crook neck and yellow squash.  I julienned each of them – heated the pan on high heat, added olive oil and flash sautéed the julienned squash for about 2 minutes.  Then take the squash out of the pan, add a little more olive oil and a nice vinegar (I used a White Wine Vinegar) to the pan and some fresh thyme.  Boil on high heat until it reduces by half and becomes more of a glaze.  Add the squash back to the pan and toss. 
Next, I say “come here my lovely little baby squash – you little pieces of heaven”.  I simply cut them in half, quick sautéed them in olive oil and fig vinegar.
While I was up to my ears cooking my summer squash, my husband whipped up a beer-can chicken and we feasted the night away.  Can you say OMG….

No comments:

Post a Comment