Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chicken with Figs and Acorn Squash Recipe from Chef Nancy

This is an exciting time of year for me – comfort food is beginning to dance in my mind….One of my favorite fall vegetables is Acorn squash (Cucurbita pepo), also called pepper squash with distinctive longitudinal ridges and sweet, nutty yellow-orange flesh and as the name suggests, its shape resembles that of an acorn.
Acorn squash is most commonly baked, but can also be microwaved, sauteed or steamed. It may be stuffed with rice, meat or vegetable mixtures.  I made one of my favorite recipes using an acorn squash I purchased at the Farmer’s Market in Tivoli Village on Saturday.  I know I am rushing the season, but I could not resist.  I veared away from my usual grilling activites and braised some chicken thighs, onions, figs and acorn squash.  It was fabulous and easy.  Try it – you’ll be a star!!!

Chicken with Figs and Squash

Grate 2 tsp zest from 1 orange
Cut orange in half and squeeze juice into a bowl and mix with 1 tbsp cornstarch - mix until smooth.
Stir 6 sliced dried figs into the orange juice mixture, set aside.
Sprinkle 4 trimmed skinless, boneless thighs with salt
Spray 3 pan with nonstick spray
Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides
Remove chicken and set aside
Spray pan again, add 1 sliced sweet onion  - cook until softened
Add 3 cloves minced garlic and fresh thyme leaves – cook until fragrant, a minute or so
Peel and cube the acorn squash – add to pan with 1 ½ cups chicken broth
Add chicken back to the pan with juices
Bring to a boil, cover pan, reduce to simmer and cook until squash is tender and chicken is cooked through – around 20 minutes
Stir in fig mixture, cover and cook for 5 more minutes

Fall here we come – Woo Hoo

No comments:

Post a Comment